Mentoring A Returning Citizen
This module provides training resources to help church leaders prepare their members to mentor people returning to the community from incarceration. Mentoring returning citizens can be an effective way for a Christian to put faith into words and actions. Mentors benefit from the process as well as the people they help!
Although individuals can work through the materials posted at the website privately, group training sessions are planned for February!
- We are planning a 6-session course beginning January 28, 2023 with a brief orientation and running five additional Saturdays (through March 4). If Saturdays don’t work, let us know. We may set up a weekday evening session if there is sufficient demand.
- The class will start at 11:00 AM CDT (to accommodate students nationwide), and run 60-90 minutes, depending on discussion. Orientation on January 28 will likely run about 30 minutes primarily to verify participant’s Zoom connection and material access. We’ll also get briefly get acquainted.
- All class sessions will be conducted via Zoom and will be recorded for later viewing if participants must miss a session.
- We expect participants to view up to two hours of videos in between classes and work some of the learning activities. Other activities will take place during discussion.
- A course syllabus will be distributed via email upon enrollment.
- We will provide a hard copy of the workbook to any who desire it. It is available for download (see below) but is about 150 pages long.
- We are tentatively planning to offer the course twice per year, each winter/spring and summer/fall, for those who are not able to participate at this time.
Wondering about becoming a mentor? Read the article “Are you mentor material?” to find out more.
Mentoring Returning Citizens - Course Manual
Mentoring Returning Citizens - Instructional Videos