Mentoring A Returning Citizen
This module provides training resources to help church leaders prepare their members to mentor people returning to the community from incarceration. Mentoring returning citizens can be an effective way for a Christian to put faith into words and actions. Mentors benefit from the process as well as the people they help!
Although individuals can work through the materials posted below privately, group training sessions are planned for October!
- We are planning a 5-session course beginning October 1 and running four additional Saturdays (through October 29).
- The class will start at 11:00 AM CDT (to accommodate students nationwide), and run 60-90 minutes, depending on discussion.
- All sessions will be conducted via Zoom and will be recorded for later viewing if participants must miss a session.
- We expect participants to view about two hours of videos in between classes and work some of the learning activities. Other activities will take place during discussion.
- A course syllabus will be distributed via email upon enrollment.
- We will provide a hard copy of the workbook to any who desire it. It is available for download (see below) but is about 150 pages long.
- We will cap the enrollment at about 12 students to foster development of relationships among students that can provide a potential support network going forward.
- We are tentatively planning to offer the course each spring and fall for those who are not able to participate at this time.
Wondering about becoming a mentor? Read the article “Are you mentor material?” to find out more.
Mentoring Returning Citizens - Course Manual
Mentoring Returning Citizens - Instructional Videos